Saturday, August 6, 2011

Victorian Lost

Coming in March from White Wolf for Changeling the Lost:

Victorian Lost

The foggy streets muffle the rattle of cab wheels and the measured clip-clop of horse hooves. Well-dressed gentlemen in top hats raise their lanterns high as they quickly make their way through the fog, practically dragging along women in elaborate dresses. This is London at the end of the nineteenth century, and even in this age of science and industry, people still believe in faeries.

They believe in you.

Victorian Lost offers advice and material for running Changeling: The Lost chronicles set in Victorian England. Akin to the previous books like New Wave Requiem and Mage Noir, Victorian Lost will focus less on the historical details of the late 19th century and more on evoking the Victorian Age through the eyes of the Lost.
It is nice to see them doing some more stuff for Changeling. One of the things about Changeling that makes it work for me is the contrast between the fantastic of the modern. I'm going to be curious about what setting it in a time/place outside our our experience (another fantastic place in some ways) will add to it. I think the phrase used for that is "double mumbo jumbo."

4 comments:

  1. This would be much more interesting to me if it were for Changeling: The Dreaming. I think 'The Lost' is an OK game but it doesn't quite do it for me. Yes, it's about the fantastic of the modern but it lacks the 'is it the real modern world, a fantastic world or is it all what you want it to be' feel of the original.

    The Lost seems more like a modern day fantasy game instead of the existential meets modern world meets fantasy game The Dreaming was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See I'm exactly the opposite- CtD feels kludged together, too driven by a single paradigm and very closed. I love what CtL has done with the ideas. That's different from my reaction to most if not all of the other nWoD stuff. I haven't liked anything else. I don't like the new approach to Mage, Werewolf or to a lesser extent Vampire (the last since I haven't really followed what they did). CtL clicked with me and with our group in ways that the other did not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for being totally offtopic but - when I try to add your RSS feed to myYahoo it chokes.

    The quick workaround would be to start up a google account and try that to see if it works any better.

    Before I take that step, has any other reader found problems adding your RSS feed? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard from anyone else about having a problem adding the feed. OOH if people did have a problem, I suspect they'd move on rather than contact me. The only problem I've had reported comes from people occasionally having issues with posting comments, but that hasn't popped up in a while.

    ReplyDelete